Sony SEL85F14GM FE 85mm F1.4 GM
Bright F1.4 maximum aperture
Circular 11-blade aperture for beautiful defocus effects
Sony Nano AR Coating to eliminate flare and ghosting
Dust and moisture resistant design
Sony SEL85F14GM FE 85mm F1.4 GM
Get Rewarded with Sony Rewards
What are Sony Rewards Points?
Sony Rewards is a free loyalty program in which you can earn 5% rewards points (order value excluding VAT). Simply log in or join now to link your Sony Rewards account to a Sony Store account. Click here to learn more
- A new dimension of portrait performance : The most advanced technology available has been applied in the G Master series, further enhancing acclaimed Sony G Lens performance. This model combines refined G Lens bokeh with new levels of resolution in a truly outstanding portrait lens that can fully utilize the performance potential of current and future high-resolution camera bodies.
- Extraordinary resolution and bokeh : Outstanding resolution even at the maximum F1.4 aperture renders the subject with impressive dimensionality. Then gradual, gorgeous bokeh dissolves the background into an artistic backdrop with natural colouration and highlights. This rare combination, due in part to new XA element technology, opens up new vistas of visual expression.
- Natural images with no spurious colour : Chromatic aberration can degrade resolution as well as bokeh quality. Three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements make a significant contribution to this lens’s outstanding optical performance, keeping axial chromatic aberration in check while maximizing both clarity and the natural look and colour of its breathtaking bokeh.
- Sublime 2-sensor autofocus accuracy : In addition to the usual rotation sensor, a second sensor detects focus lens group position. This dual sensor system achieves the extremely high level of focus precision that is necessary to make the most of the high-resolution potential of advanced camera bodies. RDSSM (Ring Drive Super Sonic wave Motor) drive provides the required power and speed.
- Outstanding clarity and contrast : Advanced Nano AR Coating technology produces a lens coating with a precisely defined regular nano-structure that effectively suppresses reflections that can cause flare and ghosting, for notable improvements in clarity, contrast, and overall image quality. (1. Nano AR Coating / 2.Glass / 3.Transmitted light)
|MINIMUM FOCUS DISTANCE||AF 0.85 m, MF 0.8 m|
|MAXIMUM MAGNIFICATION RATIO (X)||0.12 x|
|FILTER DIAMETER (MM)||77 mm|
I first bought this lens because I got a discount and then I was still waiting for my camera to go with it. My A7 IV finally arrived so I could take the lens for a test drive. It is fair to say that this is the oldest in the GMaster series of Sony lenses, therefore its focus speed is not the fastest and it's quite loud (but that's compared to other Sony lenses, it's not all that noisy). The image rendition and sharpness is still excellent, not to mention its beautiful colour rendition which is typical for all the GMaster lenses. It's a great feature because if you choose to use several GMaster lenses in a photoshoot, there would hardly be any difference in colours among them. I also have to appreciate its bokeh. Yes, I admit that I'm crazy about bokeh when shooting portraits. For this reason I appreciate that the lens is f/1.4. The image is sharp even wide open, so no problem here. I also appreciate 11 aperture blades that create the creaminess of the bokeh.
To summerize, I don't regret getting this lens by any means. For me it was a new impulse to enjoy the 85mm focal length once again.
Genuinely one of the best Sony Lenses Ive owned, I mainly use the lens for street and landscape photography and have been nothing but impressed.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.